Pages

Monday 2 December 2013

sales are the way, the truth and the life

HAPPY CYBER MONDAY!!
actual picture of me in my KEWL t-shirt

I dropped some serious british pound sterling on a camera and some clothes on a few online Black Friday sales. I livetweeted my moral conflict.

It shouldn't have troubled me so bad though. It's a day of great savings!! I can buy things for less, I'm supporting the weakening economy by letting my coveted british pound sterling circulate, and now I have some swish polos from Am Apparel for 75% off. Who's really losing here? Me, the consumer, to capitalism?

Buy Nothing Day is here 2 save us apparently, but its attempts at social change are kind of weak and embarrassing, as well as ineffective. Besides, flash mobs are super uncomfortable-making. I couldn't have supported BND anyway since the name didn't tell me what day it was on (a rookie mistake, imo).

U flashmobbers have got to chill out about consumerism. I'm a simple person with simple, selfish needs. I still want that lacoste polo whether I know I've been conditioned to want it or not. I'M 2 FAR GONE 2 B SAVED, just let me buy my way into class in peace!! I can only speak for myself, as someone who values gr8 savings more than having my own consciousness against capitalism, when I conclude: I'm already locked into my role as a unit of consumption, so it's a bit 2 late to change now by boycotting one annual sale.

Although it's fair to say the instore sales, which I would never partake in (I'm not about that life), get a bit out of hand - I completely forgot it was Black Friday on the day and went to Asdas to buy my basic foodstuffs. It was a TERRIFYING xp and I left empty handed and fearful. If I had a small child with me I would have inevitably and regrettably lost it in the crowd. But if u need some gr8 xmas presents yet don't have the british pound sterling to drop on full priced goods then your participation in Black Friday really shouldn't be condemned by a bunch of rando middle class students who think flash mobbing is some sort of statement. (I'd advise sticking to online shopping if you're aggressively prideful like me though.)

Am I trivialising the very important issue of consumerism? I guess so. Do I feel guilty? Now that you're flash-mobbing me, well yeah a lil. AM I GOING 2 STOP SUPPORTING CYBER MONDAY TODAY? PROBABLY NOT lol

3 comments:

  1. right on bebs

    yours
    Rostnora x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum missed the Asda sales- she would have loved to take your place! As she once said about -other- shops, "this is not even a sale- a £200 clothing item becoming £100 is still an item of clothing I can't afford" Asda is the way forward. God bless x

    yours,
    Sura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your mum is full of wisdom + truth

      send my love 2 her

      Delete